Dale of Merchants – FAQ
Frequently asked questions
This page displays answers to frequently asked questions about the Dale of Merchants series.
Table of Contents
- General questions
- Team rules
- [traps] Trap cards
- [squirrels] Hoarding Flying Squirrels
- [ocelots] Lucky Ocelots
- [chameleons] Adapting Veiled Chameleons
- [beavers] Systematic Eurasian Beavers
- [turtles] Enthusiastic Wood Turtles
Do the stacks have to be built in order?
Are passive card effects mandatory?
Is it possible to combine two passive effects?
If a passive card leaves my hand and I regain it during the same turn, may I reuse its effect?
Do I refill the market during my action phase if an effect removes cards from there?
If a card’s value is altered, can I use the new value of the card when building a stack in my stall?
If a card’s value is altered by multiple effects, in which order do I apply the alterations?
What's the difference between swap and exchange?
When you exchange two entities, they have to be equal in amount. For example, you cannot take any cards from your opponent with Gamble ([ocelots] Ocelot 5) if you don't have any cards left in your hand. Resolve the effect with the maximum number of exchanges possible.
How do cards that affect stack building work in team games?
- Flashy Show ([macaws] Macaw 5) applies +1 to your and your teammate’s card values.
- If you or your teammate uses Stashing Vendor ([squirrels] Squirrel 1) to build, both of you can include junk [junk] in the stack.
- If you or your teammate uses Nostalgic Item ([squirrels] Squirrel 3) to build, one of you may include a junk [junk] or animalfolk card of any set from your discard piles.
- If you or your teammate uses Winter is Coming ([squirrels] Squirrel 5) to build, you may immediately build an additional stack with or without your teammate’s help.
- If your teammate has Snack ([beavers] Beaver 2) in their schedule, and you build together, one of you chooses a card from the market and places it into their hand.
- If you or your teammate uses Stove ([penguins] Penguin 4) to build, both of you can spend for the effect.
[traps] Trap cards
During setup, do I replace junk [junk] cards with chosen traps?
[squirrels] Hoarding Flying Squirrels
Can I take a card from different animalfolk set or junk [junk] from my discard pile when building a stack with Nostalgic Item ([squirrels] Squirrel 3)?
Nostalgic Item ([squirrels] Squirrel 3) has updated card text in newer print runs. We offer update packs for those with old copies.
[ocelots] Lucky Ocelots
I played Gamble ([ocelots] Ocelot 5), rolled a 3, and have only 1 card in hand. How many cards do I get from the other player?
[chameleons] Adapting Veiled Chameleons
Can I throw away a card from the market deck with Good Old Times ([chameleons] Chameleon 3) when there are already cards in the market's discard pile?
If I throw away a card from the top of the market deck with Good Old Times ([chameleons] Chameleon 3) and it also happens to be Good Old Times, can I throw away another card?
[beavers] Systematic Eurasian Beavers
If Practice ([beavers] Beaver 5) is in my schedule when I play Acorn ([squirrels] Squirrel 4) or Gift Voucher ([chameleons] Chameleon 4), do I get the played card back into my hand?
Practice ([beavers] Beaver 5) has updated card text in newer print runs. We offer update packs for those with old copies.